Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Celestron UpClose

Celestron UpClose 10x50 Binoculars


As part of our Observation 1 in RTU's Diploma in Astronomy, we were required to purchase binoculars suited for celestial viewing. Our group decided to go for the Celestron UpClose 10x50 Binoculars which were available in Cutting Edge stores. If you plan to purchase one, I suggest you test them first - due to the lack of stock, my first purchase had the optics misaligned, however, the personel of Cutting edge were very helpful in replacing my unit.

I tested my binoculars this evening (Aug 8, 2011) due to the visibility of the 9 day old moon. The view of the moon was remarkable compared to my old binoculars that, unfortunately, has been damaged for unknown reasons. The UpClose provides a fine details on the lunar surface and remarkable detail on the terminator.

Unfortunately, I am unsuccessful in locating the Messier and NGC objects due to poor urban sky conditions and fast moving clouds. I am observing in Cubao, Quezon City with buildings and street light obstructing my view. If classified according to Dr. Torres' Urban Astronomy Scale it would be a type V. The limiting magnitude gave me a hard time finding my way in the night sky compared to the clear dark skies of Negros Oriental where I used to observe during my undergrad.

I was first able to make out Lyra and Cygnus, then using star hopping which I've learned before I was able to locate the other constellations like Aquila, Scorpius, and Sagittarius. I particularly tried to focus on seeing M7 (Ptolemy's cluster) but had a hard time making it out.

Nevertheless, it was a good first try with my new binoculars. I expect it too keep me busy for the mean time while waiting for my telescope to be brought back to Manila from Dumaguete.


Ad Astra per Aspera!

1 comment:

Raymund said...

Hello Norm. Compared to celestial views in the provinces, the sky in Metro Manila is extremely light polluted. A good reason for observatories to be built outside NCR.

Raymund